Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day Meal


This was as good as it looks.




I just wanted to talk about this meal for a second.  Mainly because it was delicious, but also because it applies to my 100 new recipes goal.  I could incorporate all aspects of this meal to be new, but I'll be a little strict and just focus on the orzo side dish.

So before I talk about that more, I just want to describe what this meal included:

Lemon garlic shrimp cooked in butter, roasted fingerling potatoes, beef tenderloin steak, and parmesan orzo with asparagus.

So recipe #1 is the orzo with asparagus.

It's super simple.  I looked around on Pinterest and got some motivation from random recipes.

Ingredients:


  • 2 C orzo
  • 1 bunch of asparagus
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/4C cream, divided
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/4C (or a handful) of Parmesan cheese.

Directions:
  • Bring a pot of water to a boil.  Add 1/8C of cream and lots of salt.  Then add the orzo.
  • Chop up the asparagus.
  • About halfway through the pasta's cooking time, add the asparagus to the pot.
  • Once the pasta and asparagus are done, drain.
  • Place back on stove.  Add the rest of the cream, butter and parmesan cheese.  Stir to combine.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste.
It's a super simple side dish that goes well with steak and shrimp.  Also could go well with chicken.  I added a couple squeezes of fresh lemon juice to add some brightness.  Fresh parsley would be nice too.

I loved it.  And will probably make it again.  Mainly because I freaking love asparagus.

Thanks for reading! 

I'm going to eat some strawberry shortcake from Portillo's.  That's what I wanted for Valentine's Day.

Until next time.

1 comment: