Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Pinterest recipe & review: Portillo's chopped salad

So I love Portillo's.  Who doesn't? I don't know if I could handle knowing that someone doesn't so let's not go there.

Being the frugal (cheap) person I am, I find it difficult to justify spending $8 on a salad sometimes.  Honestly, I always end up buying the salad and justifying it, but I do feel guilty and that's enough right?

I figured I would go ahead and try the copycat recipe I found on Pinterest for this perfect salad.





Copycat Portillo's Chopped Salad

I didn't have all the ingredients, and I rarely use exact measurements in cooking.  I pretty much just eyeball everything.


The recipe calls for green onions, iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, ditalini pasta, gorgonzola cheese, red cabbage and tomatoes.

I had tomatoes, I just didn't feel like chopping them up.  And I definitely forgot to write down or purchase red cabbage.  I also just had regular bleu (blue?) cheese because gorgonzola is too overpowering for me.  The recipe called for  4 oz. of cheese. I used 5 oz and it turned out fine.

What I also included: Cubed pieces of chicken breast.  I wanted to make this a MEAL.

Chopping everything up and boiling the pasta and cooling it down are a bit time consuming.  More than I had anticipated, I guess.  Also probably due to the fact that little C was crying up a storm at the same time.

The vinaigrette was easy.  I used my beautiful, perfect, amazing ninja for that part, but failed to take pictures.  Okay.  I'll be honest, I didn't take a picture because it looked like a balsamic vinegar massacre in my kitchen and I don't need permanent records of how messy I am in the kitchen.

I combined it all together.  Then forgot to take a picture until I was well into eating the salad.


So I realize it looks a bit bland, but the flavors were pretty decent.

Prep: Depending on your knife skills, this takes a little bit of time since you chop everything up.  There's also the pasta you need to cook too.  I think with more practice, this will become easier.

Cook: I cooked the bacon in the oven, the chicken in a frying pan and the pasta at the same time.  It was all very easy.

Taste: The parts of the salad were very reminiscent of the chopped salad. The dressing was decent.  Big C said that it tasted close to the chopped salad.  I guess it wasn't sweet enough for me.  I think I'm going to experiment (or just look up) a honey mustard vinaigrette.  Or just add honey to the recipe I used.  I love vinegar, but the taste was a bit overpowering for me.  I wanted a bit more sweet.

For anyone too far from a Portillo's, this will definitely satiate you.  Not 100% but definitely close enough.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried this and has any suggestions to improve it!

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment