Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Avocados: New Recipes

Hello all.

I hope everyone is doing well!

Sorry for my lack of dedication to writing.  I always mean to, but life gets in the way.

I can proudly say that I've been keeping up with some of my goals for the new year.  I've forced my lazy self to go to the gym a couple of times a week and I'm also pursuing my 100 new recipes.

I'm trying to be easy on myself and not be so critical when I don't go and work out.  I've injured myself slightly and irritated the injury more by ignoring it and exacerbating it.  However, rather than healing I just am mentally beating myself up saying to myself that I'm making excuses.

I'll get better with that hopefully.

Now on to the actual point of today's blog.


AVOCADOS:


I definitely didn't mean to write it in all caps, but fate made me.  I LOVE AVOCADOS.

Yeah, they have all these healthy blah blah boring blah.  I just love the buttery quality along with the creaminess and the pretty color.

I had a good avocado day and instagrammed this photo.  I have become more positive so many things do please me, but there's just something about opening a perfect avocado that makes my heart warm.

Ok.  I need to take a breath and calm myself.

I love chicken salad.  It's so simple and really, boring, but I love it.  I don't know why.  So, while getting my daily fix of Pinterest, I stumbled upon a recipe for an avocado chicken salad.  I didn't pin the link.  It was one of those possible spam pins that had the entire recipe listed as the description.

Avocado Chicken Salad:

I know this doesn't look appealing, but it was tasty and doesn't have any mayo in it, so I feel pretty proud for trying a healthy meal that isn't boring.

What it took:
  • 1/2 ripe avocado
  • Juice of 1/2 a lime (not key lime) or really however much you want
  • Handful of diced onion
  • Salt and pepper for taste
  • Couple of tablespoons of greek yogurt (or plain yogurt)
  • Enough shredded chicken for your own serving
Mash up the avocado.  Add in the lime juice, salt, pepper and yogurt.  Stir until combined.  Taste and make sure it's to your liking.  Add in the onions.  Then add in chicken and stir it all together.  I bought a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and just took a handful from that.  This was really simple to bring together.  And it was really tasty.  I think I may have actually used garlic salt.  It was light and bright.  Almost reminiscent of guacamole, but not so much that I felt weird about the combination of flavors.  I also added some spinach because I was hungry.  I'm definitely going to make this again.

Is there anything better than avocado with some salt, pepper and lime juice?  Ok, probably, but it's just sooooo good.

Here's the other avocado recipe I tried:

Avocado Pasta with Lemon and Spinach:

So, my friend posted a link on facebook to a blog about avocado pasta with Meyer lemon and arugula.  

Click here for the original post.

I followed this recipe exactly once before and LOVED it.  Well, that's not true.  I mean, I loved it, but I used kale instead of arugula.  I don't like it.  People on cooking shows say arugula tastes peppery.  Sure, maybe.  I just think it's bad.  Not my cup of tea.  I don't like the slight bitter tone it takes on.  Blech.  The kale added a nice hearty crunch.

Well, anyway, I got bored of eating toast for lunch and opened up another avocado and made some avocado pasta.  I love it so much.


What it took for my "version":

  • 1/2 ripe avocado
  • 1 clove garlic chopped
  • Juice of up to one meyer lemon (taste as you go)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • handful of spinach
  • enough pasta (any kind you have) for one serving.
Cook the pasta.  With a couple minutes left for the pasta to finish cooking, blend the avocado, garlic, salt, pepper, citrus juices and olive oil together in a blender or food processor.  Or the Ninja.  Because I love my Ninja. Blend until you have a thick creamy sauce. Put the sauce in a bowl. Add spinach on top. Once pasta is done cooking, drain and pour the pasta into the bowl with your sauce immediately.  The heat/steam from the pasta will slightly wilt the spinach.  Stir in the pasta until everything is combined.  Then devour.  Because it's that good.

I love my creamy, cheesy sauces.  I'll never stop eating them, but avocados create a wonderfully creamy and interesting flavor that doesn't leave me feeling like crap.  Plus, I can cook these meals from scratch, eat it while watching an episode of Mad Men (OBSESSED), and clean up while little C is down for a nap.  So a quick recipe like that is definitely a favorite in my book.

Hope you enjoyed!!

Until next time.






No comments:

Post a Comment